Saturday, May 7, 2011

Becky's (Yes, thats me!) Birth Story-September 12, 1984

Becky's birthing story
Part II: Becky’s birth

In February 1984 I learned I was pregnant again, and this second child was due early September, just two weeks prior to my first child’s birthday! Irish twins, born less than 12 months apart. I began preparations for another precious child. But this time I was bound and determined in my stubbornness that it was going to be MY way!

Again, no prenatal testings or sonograms, etc. I carried my firstborn a lot until I began experiencing some nerve issues and my legs would go numb and I would fall, so she learned quickly to walk with the aid of a hand or a finger for balance. On September 11, 1984 I began having contractions about 9:00 p.m., but I kept quiet and didn’t say anything because I didn’t want to go to the hospital and lay there for 12 hours like the first time. My husband and I went to bed, and I didn’t sleep because I was counting contractions. About midnight I woke my husband and we went to the hospital. My labor was, again, drug free and controlled, and THIS time I had my wits about me! When they wheeled me in the delivery room they asked if there was anything I needed and I told them to make sure they had that tub or warm water ready for my baby to be placed in following delivery, and I asked them to move the mirrors until they were just right so I could watch this child’s entrance into the world. After 6 hours total of labor, on September 12, 1984 at 3:03 a.m. my second daughter was born, and I watched every inch of her sweet little body spin into the doctor’s hands. Immediately the basin of warm water was rolled up to my bedside and a nurse placed her in the tub so only her little head was out of the water. She opened her great big beautiful eyes and blinked and started turning her little head to scan the lights and movement she was catching. I had accomplished what I originally set out to do, and this was a most satisfying moment of motherhood! She was 7 pd 10.5 oz and absolutely perfect. 

I got three days in the hospital with this one, and wanted to go home so she could meet her big sister. When the two little girls met the bond was formed. No matter how I tried to stop her, I still often found the oldest IN the baby’s bassinet cuddling her head or body! These two were best of friends growing up, always each others playmates and confidantes. I tried to do too much when I first went home, remembering not long ago how wonderful I’d felt after first birth. Again, we walked our little town in the beautiful fall, but I tired more quickly and cramped more often. I nursed again, but this little gal was trying to eat every hour it seemed! 

Looking back, I probably should have given her a pacifier because in retrospect I know she was seeking comfort, and the suckling helped her. I only lasted a couple of months, because I was chasing a toddler around and got frustrated nursing constantly. It wasn’t probably what was best for her, but only what was more convenient for me.

1 comment:

  1. I love my birth story mom. Thank you for giving me such a peaceful experience.

    ReplyDelete