Thursday, May 5, 2011

McKenzie's Birth Story (Born in Germany!)

Birth of McKenzie (2007):
McKenzie's birth was kind of crazy, and not at all what I had expected! My husband and I were stationed in Germany, and I had to deliver in a German hospital. At 30 weeks I was put on bedrest for pre-term labor. At 34 weeks, I developed an infection in my amniotic fluid, and at 34 weeks 5 days, my water broke. We went to the hospital, and not knowing much German, it was hard to understand what they were telling me. I labored for 32 hours and got stuck at 4cm.( They offered me tylenol for the pain, and I actually laughed out loud.) At that point, McKenzie's heart-rate was 200 bpm and I had a fever, so they rushed me into the operating room and put me under general anesthesia. McKenzie was born at 35 weeks weighing 5lbs 3oz, and spent 3 weeks in the NICU for infection/breathing/feeding issues. While I have nothing nice to say about the nurses in the OB department there , I have to say that the staff in the NICU was absolutely amazing!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Katie! That would be so frustrating to be giving birth, especially for the first time, in a country where you don't really understand the language. That is really funny they offered you Tylenol for the pain… you would have gotten the works here. haha I'm glad you had a better experience with the NICU staff because it would be scary to have a sick little newborn. You needed some comforting at that point because you were one worried momma.

    ReplyDelete